Sunday, August 12, 2012

state of the union

Well Ben and I celebrated nine years of marriage on Friday and marked the occasion with two decidedly different outings.  First we loaded up on fake tattoos and wine coolers and took our new raft down to the river for a three hour float.  It's not often that I get to channel my inner Meryl Streep (in River Wild) or Kid Rock groupie but it definitely made for an adventure.  The natural scenery was breathtaking, especially when the mountain was in full view, and the people watching was top notch.  Although we never did find the infamous rope swing we found a few cozy nooks for swimming and I can't think of a more fun way to cool off on a hot day.
Setting sail
 I hired this guy to do the heavy rowing.  He was a good worker but his repeated requests for a flashing were less than professional.
 Cliff diving
 Enjoying the scenery
Our second adventure was of the culinary variety and occurred at Thistle, Oregon's restaurant of the year in 2011.  We significantly up'ed our usual 4:30 dinner time and found ourselves walking in at 8pm.

It was a beautiful space with only a handful of tables and the chef working in the front window.  There were no dinner menus and only a chalkboard with four entrees.  We started with the pork appetizer since that was the only item we could decipher and intended to split the pesto gnocchi and the beef, until I wasn't willing to share.  I have to say that the whole experience was lovely, from the grandmothers china plates to the variety of mustards to the applewood smoked sea salt butter and the melt in your mouth baby carrots.  It was all perfect.  My only wish was that they hadn't sold out of their one dessert.  I suppose that's what happens when you finish your dinner at two hours to midnight.
Yet, even with all this extravagance, the true luxury was sitting across from me.  To hold the hand of the man I love in the warmth of that space and relive our highs and lows of the past year.  To dream about the future and get a little closer to the same page.  And to remember that the "better" so often comes after the "worse."  It was a gift from the One who made our tandem bicycle and I am so thankful for it.

1 comment:

  1. Happy, happy anniversary, my friend! So glad you had such a fun commemoration of it!

    ReplyDelete