Monday, May 17, 2010

birthday week!


So today it was back to reality after Ben and I spent a few days celebrating our birthdays. And oh it could not have been any more beautiful, relaxing, spontaneous, and foodilicious. Except maybe if we had celebrated in a certain far away land where Gelato and topless sunbathing on the mediterranean are the order of the day. But I digress... Ben took Thursday off to celebrate my day and also to not have to teach with his mouth full of canker sores. He let me make every decision and cleaned all the dishes and did kid duty all day. We started with breakfast at our favorite local spot and even played cards while Ian slept and Ava relished her hot chocolate with extra whipped cream. Then we drove along the river with a new cd and the windows down and stopped in Lake Oswego so I could wander through the stores. Ben entertained Ava with the princess memory game on his phone and Ian chilled in his stroller. The weather was 70 and sunny and then we came home and I read outside and took a long nap. We took the kids to a fun park and then met my parents at Red Robin for our free birthday burgers.
On Friday we took the kids to my parents house and went to the park to play tennis. We used to play all the time and I don't think I've played since before Ava was born so it was so nice to do a pre-kids activity. Then we changed and went downtown to try a new sandwich place we read about. It was good and a new neighborhood is always fun to explore. Ben went to a favorite bike store and then we finally made it to voodoo doughnut. I've been wanting to go here for years but the line is always around the block and even though it's right by our church we can't ever seem to make it. I think it's one of the only Portland restaurants to make it onto food network which makes it imposible to get into. So when we drove by and there was no line I made Ben pull over for a maple bar with bavarian cream filling. I know...I know... So onto more shopping and then to a consignment shop to buy each other our birthday gift of a painting for our living room. Although we didn't find anything so finally we went back to my parents to pick up the kids.
Ben's actual birthday was Saturday and he had to help someone move so he didn't get much of a fun day. I did make him an awesome chocolate oreo milkshake for dessert though and he enjoyed his real present later that night. :)
All in all we had a great weekend and I was sad to see it end. I got some really fun presents from my awesome friends and I felt loved and celebrated! Here's a few highlight pictures:

Ava at the park
aforementioned doughnut
Mini cupcakes from Anne...AMAZING!



hot chocoloate bliss




No comments:

Post a Comment