Thursday, February 7, 2013

kitchen sink granola

I'm feeling a little guilty about my one pound of butter post and decided to throw some balance into the mix.  Unfortunately, it's only good for you if you don't eat the entire half sheet in one sitting.  This is kind of a head/heart recipe as I mashed up a little Alton Brown with a little Deb Perelman but I've made it an embarrassing number of times and it always turns out great.  So let's get cooking!
First grab 3 cups of oats (I haven't tried quick cooking yet so I'm not sure what the variance would be?)
 photo P1221454_zps20144df6.jpg
Throw it in a bowl with 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut (This stuff is my crack addiction!  If you can't get Bob's try any unsweetened coconut from an asian grocery store or use the bagged sweet stuff.  But you might want to dial back the brown sugar (not that I would)).
 photo P1221455_zps32b71a0b.jpg
 photo P1221453_zps0e0855a5.jpg
Add 1/4 cup heavily packed brown sugar (light or dark)
 photo P1221456_zps55b68266.jpg
Then I use a mix of whatever nuts I have on hand (pecans, almonds, and peanuts is my favorite so far) and blend about 2 cups worth in the food processor until chunky.  Add the nuts to the bowl and stir.
 photo P1221457_zpsa3d74a1b.jpg
Now here's where you can let your imagination run wild.  I wanted mine to really clump up so I added everything I could think of.  My combo was 1/4 cup maple syrup (once I used Mrs. Butterworth's and it was fine)
 photo P1221458_zpsb9a6d3cb.jpg
Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil
 photo P1221461_zpsfe8472c3.jpg
a few Tablespoons of corn syrup
 photo P1221460_zpsf5ec268e.jpg
about 1/4 cup of peanut butter (if you don't use the peanuts in the nut mix)
 photo P1221459_zpsc17964a5.jpg
about 1 Tablespoon of vanilla
 photo P1221462_zpsb91568ae.jpg
and a few squeezes from the honey bear
 photo P1221465_zpsaa57e92c.jpg
It should be about a cups worth of liquid ingredients.  I also added a few shakes of cinnamon and 3/4 teaspoon salt.  Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and spread it out on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 250 for about 40 minutes (stirring every fifteen to twenty minutes). 
 photo P1221464_zpsd024a4df.jpg
When there's about 8-10 minutes left I stirred in one cup of dried cranberries (so they wouldn't have a burned flavor) 
 photo P1221466_zps6426909e.jpg
Yours might take a little longer but just take it out when it's a nice golden brown color.
 photo P1221467_zpsc428d775.jpg
 photo P1221469_zpse2e7b47f.jpg
Try to gather any self control you have and let it cool in the pan.  Then break it up into large clumps and it will store in a airtight container for...well I don't really know since ours hasn't lasted longer then two days.  You can have it with milk for breakfast or over ice cream in the middle of the night.  I think it makes the best lunch with some vanilla yogurt and fruit.  
 photo P1241472_zps3b56b64f.jpg
I have to hide the Tillamook vanilla bean in the very back of the fridge so my kiddos won't find it.  I am a lot of fun to live with.  Let me tell you.
 photo P1241471_zpsb7237309.jpg
This will be the best granola you've ever had!  I promise you won't even miss the four sticks of butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment