Monday, July 28, 2014

Rookies

We seem to be having a hard time finding our Independence Day rhythm these past few years.  Growing up our family went to New York for weeks on end and celebrated the 4th on the 3rd with fireworks, a beach full of cousins, s'mores, sparklers, half drunk cans of soda, angry grandparents swearing about said half drunk cans of soda, and a ring of fire around the lake.  It was just what we did.  No decisions had to be made or flags bought.  Now we wake up at home or in California or in Chicago and never seem to know what to do.  Neighborhood kids walk by with red, white and blue hair accessories and I'm like, "Man I thought we had a red ponytail holder in here somewhere!  Just wear something festive honey."
All we have are a few random strings of patriotism to our credit.  There was the year my Dad wrote out liturgy in five parts, the year we went to the parade and left halfway through because it was hot, the year we decided to fly back home and told the kids, "nobody gets to see fireworks from this far up!"....including us as it turned out, and lately the year where we buy fireworks at 4 pm and are in bed by 9.  Maybe I should come up with a theme and invite people over but dang it we need some good old fashioned traditions around here.  I don't care if its baking lasagna and singing the national anthem.  Just something.  Otherwise our kids are going to grow up saying, "I don't think my parents celebrate the 4th of July.  I kind of remember sitting on a lawn chair in our driveway....uhhhh."
Something has to be done.
She's totally on to our lameness.

 The entertainment
 He brought out his C.A. suit unprompted, making our neighbors believe we were at least a little prepared
 Even superheros need a snuggle
The big finale...
I'm not joking

1 comment: