Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Tahiti and the fruit ninjas

Is it too soon to start dreaming about far off places where the sand is home base and the sound of the ocean lulls me to sleep?  Yep, I thought as much.  We've been dodging many a crises since this new year began and I'm self medicating with summer fantasies... and this cinnamon pull apart bread which rocked my week.  (ps. if you do make it, for the love of all things maple, please drench it in pioneer woman's cinnamon roll frosting.  You can thank me later...unless your planning your bikini vacation in February and in that case we can't be friends).
Don't think the cup of sugar that you sprinkle on the dough is a typo.  It is absolutely necessary.
Photobucket
In other news, does it take anyone else a full two hours and a triage just to put their kids to bed?  I think we are in serious need of a super nanny intervention.  Let's go through the check list shall we?
bathtime (an epic event within itself)
pick up rooms
comb hair
brush teeth
floss teeth
flouride rinse (since Oregonians believe that putting flouride in their water is a conspiracy)
flouride tablets (see note above)
tylenol
cough syrup with codeine
albuterol
cream for exema on Ava's hands
vaseline for chapped upper lips
wart medication for Ian's finger
jammies
stories
prayer
song
dream lights
hot tea
sweet back to bed voices
jammied feet at the top of the stairs
threatening back to bed voices
tears
more tears
create a mock rainforest in the bathroom for Ava to sleep
repeat step 23 every 3 hours

You would think this ritual would create a state of exhaustion and confusion throughout the day but no, they are up right at 7am ready to take on their secret identities as "Apple Dapple" (who can kill you with any apple he chooses) and "Tutti's Frutti's" (who can turn into any fruit she wants and make fruit salad at a moments notice...not exactly the super powers I would choose but to each his own.)
Photobucket
I think I'm the only one not functioning rationally as I somehow let them talk me into skipping school and eating lunch at Krispy Kream.
Who us?
Photobucket
Tonight I'm implementing a 3:30 veggies only dinnertime and hoping all are in bed by 8pm.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Oh.boy. I'm available to come help. I can be paid in hugs & kisses (from the kids) and the aforementioned pull apart (with maple frosting). You, woman, are a genius for combining my two favorite imaginary best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of which...I totally saw you on Joy's website of 2012 favorites. You are a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend, been thinking about you this week, wondering how you are. Sickies again? That going to bed list cracked me up, ours can be near that as well with all the allergy stuff. Praying for good sleep!!!!

    ReplyDelete