Monday, December 10, 2012

advent intervention

I've realized for awhile now that our family was in serious need of some connect four.  Between all the comings and goings we were a little discombobulated.  By the time I knew what was happening Ben had abandoned the bedtime routine altogether and the kids were now watching One Direction videos before going to sleep. 
 But as much as we needed some family time, a solid twenty four hours with just my B was the first call to action.  So I snuck Ben away for a much needed city date.  Highlights included some amazing food, squinting through my fingers at Skyfall, twinkling lights from our hotel window, surrounding ourselves with Coke and Cheezits in bed while watching movies, Christmas shopping and a pastrami burger that you have to taste to believe.  It was glorious and far to short but with a couple of littles at home waiting for advent it was time to head back.  Here's Ben regretting his decision to go halvsies on the burger.
Photobucket
So a giant shout out to Ms. Kirstin T and her friend Brenda for holding down the fort at home and agreeing to be paid in nail polish.  
After we got home we opened our first advent envelope which was to tailgate with our friends for the annual firetruck Christmas toy/food drive.  It's the only toy drive I know of where Santa drives through your neighborhood strapped to his sleigh on the roof of an ambulance.  There was hot cocoa and a lot of light saber action.  Next year we'll be adding a movie component.  Stay tuned.

Ian and Willa admiring each other's "purple" and "green" hats.
Photobucket
Day 2 of advent was taking out our special manger (half crate bought at Michael's).  The kids get to put hay (raffia) into the manger when they honor God throughout the day.  We'll prepare our heart for Jesus' birth and then put him in the manger on Christmas morning.  This has been the best thing ever.  Ava is looking for ways that she can help out and love on her brother and Ian is so proud when I catch him in a kind act.  I also love that it is the focal point of our living room.  I really need a lot of visuals to help me remember what's important.  
Photobucket
Day 3 of advent read: Today we'll decorate the Christmas tree, read The Legend of The Christmas Tree and make cookies.  Here's Ian with one of my childhood ornaments.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Day 4:  It's candy cane day!  You can have a candy cane after breakfast and lunch and we'll have candy cane milkshakes after dinner.  We'll also read a book called The Legend Of The Candy Cane.  I think this day has been the winner so far.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Day 5 or 6 I can't remember:  Today we'll learn about St. Nicholas (book & veggie tales movie) and look for secret acts of kindness.  Ava made Christmas trees with candy canes and snuck them in her friends backpacks. The rest of us all failed.  
Photobucket

Photobucket
Every time we take down an envelope we replace it with something that reminds us of our day.  Totally Ben's idea and I love it.
Photobucket
More to come.  Happy advent season!

No comments:

Post a Comment