Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Signing off...

Mama is flying the coop. Tomorrow I will wake up and walk into the airport with my two hands free. Here's what I have packed in my carry-on: wallet, blanket, book, journal, and chapstick. I have laughed out loud at least three times that I've walked past my bag. I didn't even make a packing list.
A girls weekend is definitely in order. It was probably in order about a year ago but all things considered I'm just thankful it's happening at all. Let's face it, any Mama leaving the house is a serious affair. But especially one as controlling as me. If you knew the amount of time I've spent preparing color coded index cards with "suggestions" written on them, you probably would call in a specialist for help. And lets not get into the daily scavenger hunts I prepared so that my children would be placated by material goods. Apparently I suffered from extreme Mommy guilt this week. I am not proud.
But let's focus on the good shall we? I am less then 24 hours away from sunny San Luis Obispo and the giddy embraces of two of my favorite people in this world. Here's what there will be: laughter, and Sangria, and massages, and walks on the beach, and yummy food, and fruit ice, and Sangria, and music sung by adults, and reading, and laughter, and quiet, and did I mention Sangria? Here's what there wont be: crying, whining, Wheels on the Bus on repeat, eggs cooked to order (unless they're mine), interrupted meals, books with pictures, calming tones, temper tantrums, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, dirty diapers, or 6am wake up calls.
Now, that's not to say that I won't miss the morning snuggles, or the bedtime giggles, or all the sweetness in between. But there comes a time when it is good to only have to take care of yourself, just for a moment. A time to really miss those that you love and fill up the places inside that get a little left out during the chaos. And that is what I'm most looking forward to.
So, here's to a weekend away and a shout out to an amazing husband who is choosing someone else's needs above his own. Thanks B!

1 comment: