Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sweet mini mouthfuls of pure joy and deliciousness

Last week there was a fundraiser at our church to benefit IJM and all the amazing work they're doing in Portland to stop human and child trafficking (of which apparently we are the US center, yet another fun claim to fame.) Anyway, some local artists and artists from different Portland churches donated some of their work for the event and it was auctioned off. I was asked by one of the coordinators if I could contribute an artsy, adult dessert for the event and I was thrilled. Especially since as a generally broke stay at home mom, I am not able to contribute financially to these amazing causes. It was nice to feel like I could do something. God even kept me from a complete emotional breakdown as the first batch of cheesecakes I made refused to come out of the pan, and had a ganache on the top that would have broken your teeth if you had tried to eat it. Next time I am definitely going to stick with a recipe. But all in all, everything turned out wonderfully and it was a nice change to tap into my creative side. As opposed to the regular me who forces my family to eat chicken and raison casserole every night.

The lowdown on the Kahlua cheesecake bites:
Oreo crust baked 5-10 minutes
Plain cream cheese filling (Ina's recipe)
Kahlua spiked whipped cream
Kahlua/chocolate drizzle
Chocolate covered espresso bean
Mini lemon meringue tarts:
Shortbread crust
Lemon curd
Meringue topping
Lemon zest
I could not have parted with my babies if it were not for such a good cause.

1 comment:

  1. Breathtakingly beautiful!!!! SO fun to see the outcome of your hard labors, glad they worked out for you. Seriously amazing. :) Wish I could taste one.

    ReplyDelete