Monday, April 11, 2011

Carrot cake cupcake surprise



For all my carrot cake loving friends I think I've found the perfect recipe. These cupcakes are simple and super yummy. I was able to get them made while dinner was in the oven and on the table before the post-dinner-where's-our-dessert riot began. The best part is that the frosting is baked right into the cupcake, so you don't have to wait for them to cool before devouring them. And with only 1/3 cup of oil I like to call these healthy. I also like to pretend that I could still look great in my honeymoon bikini, but we're all entitled to our delusions right? I threw in some pineapple since I like things fruity and had some in the fridge. You could also add raisons or nuts. Just don't get all crazy and add spinach or anything. I cannot be held responsible for that kind of Jessica Seinfeld madness. I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
Here's what you need:

Filling:
one package cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
a few drops vanilla extract & or lemon extract & or lemon juice

Muffins:
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4t baking soda
1 1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 t ginger
3/4 t salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup veg oil
1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
optional: crushed pineapple, raisons, walnuts

Here's how you do it:

Preheat oven to 400
Grease/Flour 12 cup muffin tin
Microwave cream cheese on low power for 40 seconds/mix in extracts & sugar

Whisk dry ingredients in a medium bowl
Whisk wet ingredients in a measuring cup or small bowl
Gently mix wet ingredients into dry
Fold in the carrots & other optional yummies

Drop about 2 tablespoons mix into muffin tins & shake pan to even out
Top with about a tablespoon of cream cheese filling
Top with 2 more tablespoons muffin mix to hide the filling
Tap the pan on the counter a couple times
Sprinkle with raw sugar if you want

I think this would probably make about 14-15, maybe more if you add the additional yummies but I shoved everything into 12 and they were huge and very filling. Next time I would do the additional work for the extra few cupcakes.

Bake for about 20 minutes till brown and firmed up
If you eat them warm the filling will be oozy and molten YUM! or you can wait and it will firm up and be more frosting like once cooled. YUM!

Ava approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment