Hello....
hello...
is this thing on?
Ok, well at least for Emily. Because I'm guessing she's the most heavily influenced by the Portland hippy health food scene. And because she's with child, Yay!!, and desires to give said child the best start in life. Unlike others of us who just discovered that Costco sells heavy whipping cream. Come on people! I got an ice cream maker for Christmas and it would be wrong to let it sit in the cupboard unused and neglected. And if you could have tasted my newest flavor, Mexican Hot Chocolate you would have attempted to move in with us. But I digress, this is about health food, not ice cream and polygamy.
The name of this delicious recipe is so clever your going to kick yourself for not thinking of it first.
Wait for it...
wait for it...
Brown Bread! (A recipe from my beloved great grandma Patterson)
2cups whole wheat flour
1cup flour sifted with
1t. soda
Add:
1/2cup molasses
1/2cup sugar
Add 1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk(yummy)
Bake about an hour in 325 until a toothpick comes out clean
Ava and I like it with a cup of raisins added to the batter, sprinkled with raw sugar and smothered with butter. (Hey, I only promised a healthy recipe. What you do with it after you cook it is up to you and your thighs.)
Due to the lack of butter and eggs, this bread only keeps for a couple of days. So slice it up and throw it in your freezer. Or better yet, share it with your neighbors, who will then be in your debt the next time you need a babysitter, or a shoulder to cry on because you've gained five pounds from eating too much homemade ice cream.
Enjoy!

Oooo I am totally making this when we get back into town on Sunday!!! Will be thinking of you and Amy the entire time we are in Vegas...so many memories there with you, good and bad. Yikes. xo
ReplyDeleteThat sounds really good! I'll have to try it.
ReplyDeleteIn regards to the ice cream. That sounds absolutely delicious and I would very love the recipe. Or I *can* move in with you. Let's not think of it as polygamy, but more like incredibly convenient childcare.
Hi Colleen! I kind of made up the recipe as I went along but I used a good chocolate custard base (the base recipe from Cooks Illustrated) and steeped it with a cinnamon stick. I swapped a couple ounces of the ghiradelli semisweet chocolate for the ibarra mexican chocolate. And for the final touch I added mini marshmallows. Because it wouldn't be hot chocolate without marshmallows! :) You could probably just add a couple teaspoons of good cinnamon if you don't have the ibarra on hand. Hope it turns out!
ReplyDeleteSounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteThank you for thinking so well of me, Rebekah. I would love to say I have been that good, but I'm afraid this baby only seems to want to eat fast food all the time. Of course, I don't let it, so instead I just supplement good, healthy meals at home with chips, ice cream, and candy before bed.