Friday, September 27, 2013

put a bird on it

As I uploaded all dozen photos over the course of three weeks I can't help but reflect on how drastically our family landscape has changed in such a short amount of time.  Sometimes I feel like we're all learning how to waterski.  It's pretty wobbly at first and then you're up and surprised by the sheer terror that has overcome all of your senses.  But you realize you're actually doing it and it's kind of fun, you notice that you're smiling and take one hand off the rope to wave to your family at the dock.  "Look at me!  I'm doing it!"  And then you hit a wave and spectacularly crash on your face causing all kinds of discomfort and embarrassment.  But you are proud of yourself anyway and...you decide to try again because it was a rush of excitement and... you were kind of getting the hang of it and... hopefully it will get easier and... the next wipeout will be less traumatic.  Some days the sun shines bright and the waters are glassy smooth and some days you are just holding on.
 I'm not sure if that makes any sense but it is exactly how this process of going back to work has felt.  On one hand I would love to have the time to enjoy a quiet rainy afternoon on the couch with a good book and a cup of tea.  On the other, I'm strangely filled up by the ridiculous, hilarious, rowdy messiness that has become my life.  There's new fuel in the fire and new little people who need my songs and hugs.  Its always tricky when you add to your fold, especially when you feel like it's a fresh set of hearts in your hands.
 But even though I was snot spit on (this is a technique one of my students pioneered where you push your snot out of your nose and then spit it out your mouth) and had to wrestle one love away from the deathly grips of another on more than one occasion, I've gained their trust quicker than I thought.  They are mesmerized by the zany combination of firm boundaries and body art. And now I've got them right where I want them...
In other news I'm pretty sure nothing says "fall sellout" quite like buying squirrel cookie cutters.
And apple tastings...

 and fall farmers markets



But our newest fall tradition brought us to Chapman school to visit the Swifts and cement our place as Portlandians.   Every September these crazy birds stop through to nest in the chimney of this elementary school.
It draws quite the crowd
The real show starts when a larger bird (falcon?) swoops in and tries to (eat? / mate?) the swifts.  Then they go crazy and chase the big bird away.  Everyone claps and cheers them on.  It only lasts about an hour and eventually the swarms of birds get smaller and smaller until the last little guy makes it into the chimney.
The kids were all a little confused about why we met a gang of friends on an elementary school lawn to eat fried chicken and stare at birds but they might as well learn earlier than later, this is the least of the crazy they'll see in this town.
Yes, that is a man dressed as a court jester playing the mandolin and singing about birds behind Ian, why do you ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment