Today Ben and I celebrate ten years since a lifetime of promises were spoken. It only took about ten minutes to make those vows to each other and I am sure that neither of us knew the depths of what we were saying. But we are slowly learning to read between the lines.
Many people know Ben as the funny guy in the room, or as an outdoor enthusiast, or maybe as the math teacher who wears pink vans. The short of it is that he sings in the shower, bleeds Breaking Bad, makes a mean mix cd, loves the Avett brothers, has mad Internet skills, and is not afraid to dress up like Aladdin and pretend to fly Ava on a magic carpet.
The long of it is that he would do anything for me, he always makes the most nervous person in the room feel welcome, he is fiercely loyal, he makes me laugh until my stomach hurts, and he lives his life without any hypocrisy. He is my love, he is my love, he is my love...
Like most marriages, there are chapters I would rather forget. There are times I have wondered why it has to be so hard and times I have wondered how it could be so easy, probably in the same day. The real beauty in our story happened over countless nights of house hunters international as much as in climbing mountains and sunsets in Hawaii. It happened in a doctors office when we couldn't find a heartbeat anymore. It happened during a hundred kid bedtimes, during acts of brazen selfishness and a thousand apologies, during desperate hugs after a long day and years of weddings and funerals.
I never know what the next chapter will look like, I only know who wrote our story and I wholly believe that each year He is smoothing our rough edges until we fit together in a way that makes Him smile.
Happy anniversa-b!



No comments:
Post a Comment