This past week the sun made a surprisingly strong and constant appearance in our days. I continue to be amazed daily by the strawberries growing in the garden and the need for a run through the sprinkler each afternoon. In the spirit of my berry hoarding, I decided to see if our local farm had any u-pick left and sure enough they had thornless blackberries. I had never heard of such a thing but it sounded too good to pass up so we packed up and headed out.
The day couldn't have started out more perfect. We were the only ones out there, the kids could pick, ok eat, to their hearts content and the mountain was practically glowing in the background. After about twenty minutes Ava let out a terrible scream and I quickly figured out that she had been stung by a bee. It was her first so I put her in the stroller and watched her for a few minutes to see if a rash broke out. It didn't, so I did what any loving mother would do and continued picking berries. She would later tell Ben that, "it hurt so bad, I screamed a hundred forty miles." Yep, that pretty much described it. After my bucket was full and before the police would be called for child neglect, we headed back to pay for our berries. Of course Ava refused to leave the stroller, so I had to carry Ian on my shoulders and push Ava the 1/4 mile back to the car, over a potholled dirt road, while Ian covered my eyes with his hands and bounced up and down like he was on a horse. Good times, good times. I do have to say that the homemade blackberry ice cream later that evening made it all worth it. Ok, maybe 75% worth it.

No comments:
Post a Comment